Thursday, June 18, 2009

At the dinner table

Tonight while we were eating dinner it hit me how much of our meals are homemade. We tend to eat homemade of the regular things like bread, cookies, muffins, tomato sauce etc. but what hit me tonight was how many of the condiments were also homemade. I don't really know if making them myself saves any money but let me tell you the taste sure is an improvement over store bought, plus I know exactly what goes into each of them. I was also surprised at just how long they last, I haven't had any problems with them going bad. They haven't been left for months in the fridge but they have been in there for several weeks. Pictured above is ketchup, sour cream, salad dressing and "Miracle Whip". These all easy to make with the exception of the "Miracle Whip" and I wouldn't recommend it to a novice at preparing home cooked meals, it takes forever to make and if you don't do exactly right it will separate quicker than you can wink. However, Michael really likes it, so much so that he was willing to stand in front of the mixer and add the oil drop by drop last time. It does taste as good if not better than the name brand stuff, but I don't think I am saving any money on this one, at least not if time is money and you take into account the electricity, but there are no stabilizers or preservative in that jar.

What do you like to make from scratch?

No comments:

Post a Comment