Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Monday and Tuesday


We are doing the count down to finish school. We have been faithfully following a routine for the last 7 weeks and have gotten so much accomplished. Wallace likes it, John likes and best of all I like it. We will tweak in just a tad when we start the new year, only because we will be changing the curriculum at little bit.


At the beginning of the week or the end of the one we've just done I write out a daily to do list of sorts of all the required work for each day for each of the boys. I only do a week at a time in case there is an interruption or something doesn't get done for one reason or another so I will only have to make changes to a maximum of 4 days. I used to get very discouraged if I had done a whole lot of planning and then to miss a day due to sickness or some other unforeseen circumstance and it would just mess things up. Wallace loves being able to tick off each thing that he does, it gives him a real sense of accomplishment and he knows when it is all done the rest of the day is his to enjoy. John loves it too, he runs to his list, which for the most part he can't read and tries to figure out what is next.


I don't let them work ahead though because I don't want them overwhelmed by the work and just rush through it just to get it done. I find that they don't retain much if they do it that way, and what is the point of doing school work if you aren't going to remember what you've learned.


We will be taking the month of July off, and will be heading back to school the first of August. This is unusual around here as the school are off for both July and August and head back to class the day after Labour Day, but with our move (prayerfully hopeful) and not knowing when it will be, I would like to work ahead so that we can take up to 3 weeks off at that time.


I can hardly believe that we are completing our 4th year of homeschooling. We had planned on taking it one year at a time but last year I had ordered the books before I had really thought about it and this year we have pre-planned on homeshooling, with moving it just seemed best not to change too much at one time. The future of homeschooling as with all things is in the Lord's hands which gives me great comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment