Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ahhh, back to routine

Today was a much better day at school we are all done and ready to play out side and it isn‘t even 1:30 pm. (I know that we love our routine around here.) It is a cold and crisp day but at least the sun is shining, some fresh air and exercise will help to clear their heads I think.

Wallace is learning long division in math, and I am amazed at how well he is grasping the concepts. I remember having such difficulties with it. We are using Saxon Math 54, and enjoying it. Last year we used Saxon 3, I found it difficult with the “meetings’. I had started John on Saxon K and am having the same struggles as I had with Wallace last year. Last year I thought that it was just us trying to find our stride but now that I am having the same issue with John I’m thinking that the material just isn’t a good fit. I’m considering switching to Horizon Math or ABEKA. John loves, at least to this point, to do his work sheets, although sometimes he thinks he gets to decide what is done on each sheet. I allow this with some of the pages and others we do as the instructions say. He is still so young and I don’t want to stifle his desire for learning or to ‘do school’. I do have one advantage though he loves to be like his older brother and that means school.

The last few nights I’ve been sitting by the computer. This may seem odd but I’ve discovered a way to read a classic novel and knit at the same time, I feel as if I am accomplishing a lot. I’ve discovered LibriVox, maybe I am really behind the times but its new to me. The last couple of nights I’ve been knitting away on Michael’s latest pair of sock and listening to Pride and Prejudice being read. I now have a list of future books in the que. I am figuring that since Michael works so many nights and we don’t have cable that this will be a fun and productive way to pass the long evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment